The GOLD (Global Initiative for Obstructive Chronic Lung Disease) initiative recognizes that people with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) are among those most affected by COVID-19 and GOLD is working with the WHO (World Health Organization) to treat to minimize the impact of infection.
- GOLD strongly recommends that people with COPD follow the advice of public health teams in their own countries to try to minimize the possibility of infection, as well as when and how to seek help if they show symptoms of the infection.
- GOLD is not aware of any scientific evidence supporting that inhaled (or oral) corticosteroids should be avoided in patients with COPD during the COVID-19 epidemic.
- COPD patients should maintain their regular therapy.
- Oxygen therapy should be provided if necessary following standard recommendations.
- As new information becomes available, follow the management recommendations of your own country’s authorities.
For more information, visit the website of the World Health Organization.